Work Permits

  • Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”).  Work permits are typically issued by the school or district where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. 

    Requirements to obtain a CVUSD Work Permit:

    • Student must reside within the CVUSD’s boundaries and attend CVUSD’s school.
    • Student must provide proof of age (e.g., passport, birth certificate, etc.)
    • Student must have satisfactory grades and attendance. 


    How to Apply for a CVUSD  Work Permit:

    1. Step 1: Fill out the form Intent to Employ (B1-1)
    2. Step 2: Submit your form with proof of age to your school office.
    3. Step 3: School office will send the form B1-1 to the Work Permit Office at Cajon Valley USD after confirming satisfactory grades and attendance.
    4. Step 4: After the review of records, a Permit to Employ (form B1-4) will be issued by the Work Permit Office.


    After the issuance of Work Permit

    • Student granted work permits must demonstrate and maintain a 2.0 GPA and satisfactory attendance.
    • Grades and attendance records will be periodically inspected by the school to ensure the maintenance of academic progress.
    • Full employment may be authorized for students ages 14-17 only per Education Code 49130-49135.
    • Student shall request a new work permit whenever a student changes employer. 
    • If a student continues to work, a work permit must be renewed at the beginning of the school year. 

    In most cases it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fills out the B1-1 form and submits it to the school or district local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).


    Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work

    • Under Age 12
      • Prohibited except in the entertainment industry. For entertainment work permits contact:
        State Industrial Welfare Commissioner's Office
        (619) 220-5451
    • Ages 12-13
      • All Year
      • Prohibited in firms subject to Fair Labor Standards Act except for certain Agricultural firms. For further information contact:
        Federal Wage and Hour Office
        (619) 557-5110
      • Student may be employed only on non-school days
      • Maximum hours: 8hr/day; 40hr/week
      • 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
      • Student must be enrolled full-time in school. 
    • Ages 14-15
      • School in Session
      • 3 hours maximum per day Mon.-Fri.
      • 8 hours maximum per day Sat.-Sun.
      • 18 total hours per week
      • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
      • All hours must be outside of school hours. 
      • Summer/Vacation (School Not in Session)
      • 8 hours maximum per day
      • 40 total hours per week
      • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week (summer hours June 1 through Labor Day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)


    • In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.
    • If an employee works a split shift, he/she must be paid one extra hour at the minimum wage.
    • If an employee reports to work but is not given work and is sent home, the employee is owed a minimum of 2 hours of pay.
    • If an employee is asked not to clock in, the employee is free to leave and cannot be required to wait without being paid as he/she is under the direction and control of the employer.


    Prohibited Employment

    • Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law

      The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.
      • Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)Power-driven woodworking machines
      • Exposure to radioactive substances
      • Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, forklift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
      • Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
      • Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
      • Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
      • Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears
      • Roofing operations
      • Excavation operations
      • For a complete list, contact the Federal Wage & Hour Office at (619) 557-5110
    • Minors Under 18 Years of Age
      • Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
      • Building or construction work of any kind
      • Delivering goods from motor vehicles
      • In the vicinity of moving machinery
      • Hazardous occupations
      • Operating an auto or truck
      • In the vicinity of explosives
    • Hazardous Occupations for Minors Under 16 Years of Age — California Law
      • In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.
      • Public messenger service.
      • In or about dangerous equipment & power-driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.
      • Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.
      • Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:
        • Minors work in pairs as a team;
        • One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors;
        • Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes;
        • Returned to home or rendezvous point daily;
        • Employer has complied with IWC registration requirements.

    Summer Permits

    Working minors who have been promoted to high school and who need work permits for their new jobs through the summer months will need to file with their high school district. A work permit is needed for every job.

    Cajon Valley Union School District issues work permits for minors residing within the district boundaries or enrolled in district schools. During non-school periods (summer and spring break), minors must have their work permits issued by the Work Permit Office (instead of their school) at 750 E. Main Street, El Cajon, CA  92020; 619-588-3275.

    Work permit applications are available at all Middle School Sites and are available in the District office during Summer hours. The applications are also available on the Cajon Valley Union School District website.

    Minors must have their employer complete the employer portion of the work permit application, obtain their parent or guardian’s signature, and take the completed application with proof of their age to their school office. Upon review of the information for compliance with child labor laws, verification of the minor’s age, and verification of student’s records and attendance, the work permit will be issued, and the minor should take the work permit to his/her employer.

    Work permits expire one week after school starts and minors who are still working must renew their work permit through their school.

    Worker’s Compensation must be provided for all employees regardless of whether the employee/minor is the employer’s child (LC Sections 3700-3701).


    For additional information, please visit the following websites:

    For District Board Policy, Click here

    For Federal & State Laws FAQ, Click here

    For Child Labor Laws Pamphlet, Click here


    For any other inquiries, contact:

    Cajon Valley Union School District

    Educational Services-Work Permit Office

    750 E. Main Street

    El Cajon, CA 92020