Aligning to our mission of making Cajon Valley the best place to live, work, play and raise a family, Cajon Valley as a district has been embarking on a path to a greener El Cajon, increase our social responsibility, and be the environmental champion of East County.
History Of Our Green Journey
- Electric buses
- Reduction in bus idling
- Monitoring Program -
CVUSD uses “EnergyLink” to monitor its solar production and energy use.
- E-Waste management
- ASHRAE Level 2 Energy Audits -
Energy audits were performed at all sites, to determine and prioritize the most cost effective energy saving measures.
- Lighting retrofit -
Old inefficient lighting was replaced with LED lighting, including motion sensors at all sites.
- HVAC -
Old, inefficient heating ventilation and air conditioning units were replaced with more efficient higher SEER units.
- Solar -
After first completing the energy efficiency measures listed above, the District installed solar/photovoltaic systems at 25 sites for ongoing energy savings and reduced carbon footprint.
- Irrigation Water Wells -
The District installed irrigation wells at several sites
- Student Composting Bins
- Student-led recycling efforts
World of Work - Career exploration initiative teaching the next generation about green jobs such as environmental engineers and wind energy technicians.
- Environmental Management system with integrated reporting
- Landfill/waste audit
- Automated (motion/light-sensing) light fixtures
- Wastewater treatment
- Zero-leak water+heating fixtures
- Vetting the value chain (purchasing/supply chain audit and management)
- Improve water efficiency
- Warehouse cold storage efficiency
- Improve indoor air quality
- Cohesive and comprehensive site energy management
- Adjust carbon offset
- Reduce carbon footprint
- Sustainable design on all new building projects