US History Syllabus
2019-2020 School Year
Welcome to eighth grade History at Emerald Middle School. This year you will be learning about the history of the United States, from the American Revolution to Reconstruction, after the American Civil War.
Theme: This year you will be focusing on the ideas of identity and power, and how these lead to civic duty & participation; how ordinary citizens have affected change in American history.
Materials to Bring with You Everyday
- a positive & respectful attitude
- writing utensils- pens and/or pencils, pencil sharpener, erasers, etc.
- A folder/binder for handouts
Your grade will be based on three categories:
- 45% of your overall grade
- all work done in class
- Classwork will come in a variety of forms, including but not limited to those below:
- Cornell Notes
- Primary/secondary source analysis
- Graphic Organizers
- Current events
- Paragraph Writing
- 45% of your grade
- any assignment I use to assess your skills & knowledge
- Assessments will also come in a variety of forms, including but not limited to those below:
- Exit Cards
- Research Papers
- Formal writing samples
- 10% of your grade
- You should expect to have HW on average two nights per week.
- Homework will also come in a variety of forms, including but not limited to those below:
- Summary Writing
- Brain Pop
- Finishing classwork
- Movie watching with notes
- Absences are normal. However, you will be responsible for making up the time and work missed. Follow the steps outlined below when you are absent.
- Upon your return, you will check in with Mrs. Jimenez during passing period to briefly discuss what you have missed.
- You will gather the work you missed from the absent work bin on the back counter.
- You will need to make up the work, either on your own time, or you can come during office hours to get help.
- You will have one week to complete and turn in absent work.
********You will not copy the work from a classmate, unless given permission********
- If you are absent the day a project is due, it will be due the day you return. After that, it will be considered late.
- If you are absent for a test or quiz, you will have one week to make it up. It is your responsibility to schedule a time with Mrs. Jimenez.
- Will be accepted up to one week after grade has been input on your student portal for half credit.
- This includes HW, classwork, projects
- Work submitted later than one week will not count for a grade.
- Half credit means that the student will receive half of the points they would have earned if the assignment had been turned in on time.
- If you have been absent, need extra time, a place to complete homework, or need help, I am available to assist you at the times listed below.
- Wednesday 3:30-4:00 pm
- Meet me at the 500 wing gate by 3:34
- If that doesn't work, email me to schedule a time.
My job this year is to help prepare you for high school. The guidelines and procedures outlined above have been created and will be implemented and enforced in order for you to be prepared for 9th grade. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.