• July, 2019

    Dear Parents and Guardians:

    The information contained in this packet concerns your child's participation in the transportation program for the 2019/2020 school year (August 21, 2019- June 18, 2020).

    You will find information regarding application for school bus transportation which includes the instructions on how to obtain bus passes and tickets prior to the beginning of school.  Also included is information that will be useful throughout the school year relating to renewal of bus passes and general operational policies and rules of conduct while riding the school bus.

    The policy of Cajon Valley Union School District is to provide home-to-school bus transportation for students who live within the established transportation area.  The distances identified from the school are as follows:

    Grades Distance
    Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd grade students More than 1 mile
    3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade students attending elementary schools More than 1 1/2 miles
    6th, 7th, and 8th grade students attending middle schools More than 2 1/2 miles

    The task of implementing a Transportation Fee Program is sizeable and requires the cooperation of all involved.  Our staff will process all applications as soon as we possibly can.



    Cajon Valley Union School District students will be entitled to participate in home-to-school transportation services sponsored and operated by the District for a fee. The District will provide transportation to and from school when such transportation is necessary, practical and economical.


    Bus Pass Sales

    Passes will be processed and issued by the Transportation office prior to each renewal period.  A bus pass order form is mailed to the parent/guardian of the students who have previously participated in the Transportation program (enclosed).  Additional order forms are available at each school office and on the district website. 


    Renewal of Bus Passes

    Bus passes may be renewed by mailing an application with your payment to the Transportation Department, P.O. Box 1007, El Cajon, CA 92022-1007. Renewals should be received at least 10 days prior to the start of school/or second semester.  If you lose your pass there is a $5.00 replacement fee. If a student’s bus pass has not been renewed and the student does not provide a bus ticket, he/she will be denied transportation the day after the new semester begins. Please be prepared to provide alternate means of transportation for your student, to and from school, until these fees have been paid.


    Family Discounts

    Family discounts are available when purchasing passes for more than two students in the same family at the same time.  First two students = full fare; third student = half fare; fourth or more students = no charge. When purchasing more than one type of pass, the discount is applied on the pass of least cost.


    Ticket Books

    Tickets may not be ordered by mail; they are available for sale at the school office and at the Transportation Department. The cost is $40.00 for a book of 40 tickets.  


    Individual Tickets

    Individual tickets may be purchased in the school office or at the Transportation Department for $2.00/each, for students who occasionally ride the bus. Friends may ride home with bus riders on a space available basis only by purchasing a ticket and bringing a note from home and having the school office sign the note before boarding the bus.


    Returned Checks

    Any returned check must be replaced with cash or money order.



    Refunds will be made for bus passes only when a student is leaving the Cajon Valley Union School District.  This request must be made in writing to the Transportation Office. NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE FOR SINGLE TICKET PURCHASES OR TICKET BOOKS.  NO refunds will be made on passes when the student has been suspended from the bus.


    Proration of Bus Passes

    Passes will not be prorated when requesting transportation mid semester.  Parents have the option of purchasing a full semester pass, or may purchase a book of 40, one-way rides, for $40.00. Single ride tickets may be purchased for $2.00 each.


    Financial Hardship

    In case of financial hardship you must apply in person at the Transportation Department at 721 East Park Avenue, El Cajon. Free/Reduced applications WILL NOT be mailed. 


    If the application meets the qualifications for free/reduced transportation, a bus pass will be issued.  If the application does not meet the income qualifications, the parent/guardian will be notified. 

    Applications for Free/Reduced transportation may be required at the beginning of each semester (2 times a school year). PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION. 

    Proof of Eligibility is any and all documents which show your household's (every adult over 18 living in the household) current income. 

    Valid Proof of Income Sources are as follows:



    Current paycheck stub for two months (most recent) and/or 2018 Tax Return
    Letter from employer, on company letterhead, stating gross wages paid and how often they are paid.



    Social Security retirement benefit letter
    Statement of benefits received
    Pension award notice



    Notice of eligibility from State Employment Security Office
    Copy of disability award letter
    Check stub



    Notice of Action or Statement



    Court decree or agreement


    All other income

    Other cash income including cash amounts received or withdrawn from investments, trust accounts and/or other sources such as bank savings and/or checking accounts which would be available to pay the price of a child's bus pass or ticket.  If you have other forms of income, provide information or documents which show the amount received, how often it is received, and the date received.


    No Income

    If you have no income, provide a brief note explaining how you provide food, clothing and housing for your household and when you expect an income; money drawn/taken from a savings or checking account is considered income.


    If you have any questions or need help in deciding the kind of information to provide, please feel free to call the Transportation office (619) 588-3177 x5.


    Designated Bus Stops

    Please check the district website for designated bus stops. We will update as needed.


    Student Behavior and Discipline

    All existing policies and regulations regarding safety, student behavior, and discipline on the school buses will remain in effect.  Please read and go over the enclosed Code of Conduct and Categories of Offenses with your student(s). With your help and with the cooperation of all the student passengers, we will be able to continue to provide safe transportation. 


    Contact Information

    Please be sure your contact information is correct and up to date.  The transportation department utilizes an “all call” service called Bus Bulletin to notify parents/guardians when routes are delayed.  If we do not have your current contact information, you won’t receive these important messages.  



    In January, 2017 we announced and rolled out the addition of ZPass to our student bus pass system. This new program does not replace the Cajon Valley Union School District bus pass. Students are required to carry and present both the bus pass and their ZPass. The driver will instruct your student to scan their ZPass in front of the card reader located on the dash of the bus. The ZPass system allows for parents or guardians to monitor when their child boards and exits the bus by receiving an alert message (where individual students have boarded and exited) to their cell phone or computer. To receive such alerts you need to register on the portal if you haven’t done so already. Please check the district website for portal instructions. Please do not alter the card in any manner, doing so damages the card and renders it unusable.  If lost or destroyed, you will be required to purchase a replacement ZPass for $5.00


    Office Hours

    We will begin accepting applications beginning July 29, 2019. 
    Our hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m


    All questions pertaining to transportation may be answered by calling (619) 588-3177.